sidepull hackamore

Cindy wrote:
>I am considering trying to switch my mare from a snaffle to something to
control her with no mouth piece.  She is easy to control and most of
the time I can control her with voice commands.... walk, trot etc.  But
there are times!  She doesn't like a mechanical hackamore even with very
little pressure.  She has trouble with turns in it and starts grabbing
(lowering her head) to get more rein even when I have no pressure.  I am
considering trying a side pull or bi pull.  Would someone tell me the
advantages of both.<<

I'm not sure what is a "bi pull," but I have used a sidepull some and in fact am schooling
my mare in one right now.  It encourages a horse to extend the head and neck and lift the
back, so it's good for horses who tend to travel behind the vertical (such as dressage
horses who are asked to work in a collected frame a lot).  I've been using it to work on
responsiveness in turns (my mare has been a bit herdbound lately); the rider can take a
hold of one rein and easily ask the horse to turn. I have also been using a lariat neck rope
along with the sidepull to teach her to turn through the body in a more balanced way and
minimize pressure on the reins. (It's a good way to teach a horse to neck rein also.)
Many years ago I started an endurance ride on my mare, Rushcreek Ingrid, in a sidepull.
She was drinking in a creek and when I looked down, the bridle had fallen off her head
and into the creek! (some have no throatlatches). I carefully dismounted and put it back
on.
Since your horse is easy to control, the sidepull may work well for you although some
riders say "I have no brakes!" when riding with one. You can wrap the rope noseband
with Latex rubber to avoid digging a hole in the nose.
I believe you can also attach a snaffle bit to the sidepull. In this case, use two pair of
reins (does that make it a "bi-pull"?).
You need to adjust the sidepull fairly snugly on the head so it doesn't pull around the
face when you give direct pressure on the reins.
Good luck!
Bobbie Lieberman and Fine Print -- I'm glad you ditched the hackamore, mom, and put
me in a bridle