Re: Starting as an adult

In a message dated 98-07-22 12:49:40 EDT, spencer@inu.net writes:

<<  Having raised 3 sons so far, I know that the
 youth are flukey.  They change a lot over the growing up process and the
 future of  horse activities shouldn't be placed on that process.  Some will
 stay, but most won't.  ALL should be welcomed into the sport, but there
 ARE, IMHO, more adults taking up this sport than youth.   >>

You are absolutely right about this.  I see lots of juniors come and go, and I
never think of them as the future of the sport.  I think more in terms of what
the sport does for their futures, and I think that is often
considerable--learning responsibility, perseverance, independence, the ability
to develop skills, etc.  If they choose to return to us, so much the better,
but any investment we make in helping our youth become capable adults is well
spent.

Heidi