RE: Starting as an adult

As a child I rode on those mechanical horses as the grocery stores and read
any book about horses, but I did not live near any stables or organized
horse activities.  Guess my family thought I would grow out of it.   Times
were hard when I was growing up and there was not money for a horse of any
kind.   As a teenager had a friend who had 2 horses and I would ride until
my derrier was purple.  At age 28 finally had a job of my own and decided
to take English riding lessons--a dream from childhood.  Had 2 small kids
and boring husband.  Husband didn't approve and said I couldn't have a
horse--half of the income was mine!!  Anyway, other things were wrong
there, too.  Left him and NEVER looked back.  At age 34 bought my first
horse a 1/2 Arab.  Had remarried someone whom I thought was more tolerant,
etc(but when you are young you are more optimistic!)  Now at age 51, I am
trying to keep on riding and have taken dressage lessons periodically for
the past several yrs.  Time only goes so far.  AND as single parent again,
must balance it all.  Now I don't bother very long dating anyone not
interested in horses.  BUT the point is that our society says we should and
shouldn't do this and that.  Most endurance riders are as we said in
college--Gamma Delta Iota(refers to those of us in dorms not sororities)
(hint the last two are 'damn independent').  I haven't done much of the
show thing, as was already mentioned, the politics and only a few minutes
in a class.  But that could bring out another problem with horses that are
making the future are only in the show ring a very short time(but that is
where the big bucks are!)  Having raised 3 sons so far, I know that the
youth are flukey.  They change a lot over the growing up process and the
future of  horse activities shouldn't be placed on that process.  Some will
stay, but most won't.  ALL should be welcomed into the sport, but there
ARE, IMHO, more adults taking up this sport than youth.  If one looks at
the longevity of our population, it is those over 35 that are becoming the
largest.  They also finally have the resources to do it.  We need to expose
our youth, but not count on them.  Later in life they will return.  Happy
trails, and here's to good ole Roy Rogers,  Mary Ann, Tx