RE: match made in heaven

SandyDSA@aol.com wrote

<Sorry - but all anthropomorphizing aside, no  horse knows he is drop
dead
gorgeous - lots of MEN think so, but horses have no such "thoughts".
Sometimes
it SEEMS like they do. Neither is my one testy horse in a "foul mood".
They
are just horses - rective, with temperament differrences - and hormonal
changes. Horses' behaviour is a product of both environment and
genetics. A
stallion who is very vocal is simply loaded with testosterone - and
other
things!>

Sorry, but I couldn't disagree more with this philosophy.  I wonder why
anyone would enjoy working with horses if they felt that they were just
reactive with hormonal changes.  I don't believe that this is anymore
true for horses that it is for people.  We, just as horses are the
product of our genetics, hormones, and environment.  Horses, and all
animals, do have thoughts, emotions, and pride of lack of.  We tend to
set ourselves apart from the rest of the animal kingdom.  We feel that
because we are human, our experience of being alive is completely
different than for the other animals. Horses have a language, a strong
sense of social order, and become emotional involved with those around
them.  Basically they are not that much different that we are.  There
are more similarities than differences.

As to the behavior of a stallion, a stallion should not act like a
gelding or mare.  Yes, it is possible to destroy a stallions spirit to
the point that all of his natural tendencies are suppressed.  But, why
do this.  There is certainly nothing wrong with a stallion announcing
his presence.  How many times have you heard the old wives tale that
stallions are lazy, they won't put out, they are quitters.  Now look at
these stallions at a ride, you couldn't tell them apart from geldings
from their actions.  While the stallions who are allowed to retain their
ego's, announce their presence, and show their pride, within safe
limits, are winning rides, giving their all willingly.

Phil Gardner