Re: Selenium

Dr Ralston is correct that there is a tremendous difference in selenium levels
in different areas.  Not only do you need to know your area, but you also need
to know where your hay comes from.  Have seen people "think" they were in a
less deficient area, but be feeding central Oregon hay, and visa versa.

As to the trickiness of testing--that is why I so strongly recommend sending
ALL samples to ONE lab that does a LOT of testing, as the results vary from
lab to lab.  Michigan State has been doing a good job, and I send all my
samples there, even though there are more local labs that do run selenium
tests.

Heidi Smith, DVM