SELENIUM

From: Brenda
Email: limnos@junction.net

A question for the vets out there, in particular, Dr. Heidi Smith.  I have read that an idle mature horse's Se requirement is 0.8 mg/day, and hard working horses require up to about 3 mg/d.  A supplement that is commonly used in our area gives 3 mg/d and according to company's equine nutritionist, this assumes the horse is in a Se deficient area - toxicity problems were encountered in an area that was not Se deficient.
I am interested in Dr. Smith's statement that a horses requires 8 mg/d - this seems too high given anything I've read about it.  Can Dr. Smith or other vets please check this and discuss it?
Thanks lots,
Brenda