Electrolytes, Anybody? Think I'll Have Some!

Dear Ridecamp:

I am a newbie, wanabe, soon to be, hoped for contender in endurance.  Tez & I are getting such an education from y'all.  Thought I would do a little work for the people (like me) who make newbie inquiries about electrolyte replacement therapies.

Ye professional veterinarians out there:  Where can we rank novices go on the net to access published medical stuff (research results, surveys, whatever) regarding the body chemistry of horses under exercise stress.

I guess, what we all would like to know is how to accurately estimate the dosage of electrolytes we should be giving our horses under lots of exer-stress, and in what sequence following cooling out, water, feed, etc.  And then there is brand specificity to consider.

The attached file is called ucdavis.wpd.

Tez & I typed it up for you from our u.c.davis vet reference book today.  The file was created in Word Perfect 6.1 for Windows and may be downloaded for you to read if you want to.

Yes, the info is basic, but I feel that it paints the picture we should all have in our minds of "dehydration" and "exhaustion" in their various stages.

Dehydration and exhaustion are the very reasons we use electrolyte replacement products, and the reason newbies ask questions.

Can I go ride my horse now?

Susie & Tez
attachment