Re: SADDLE SURVEY - ME TOO!

Susie Wimberly wrote:

> Also:  Can any of you experts give me a quick clinic on saddle
> fitting.

I'll try to offer some suggestions. You mentioned a dressage saddle and a
handmade, heavy western saddle.  Either is great if it really fits, although
I've found the western horn hits me in the chest when we have steep climbs.
Weight may also become an issue unless you're trying to hit 165 for FEI and
you only weigh 90 lbs soaking wet :-)  (I'm not sure I could lift a 40 or 50
lb western saddle at the end of a long ride, either.)  I've never thought
that dressage saddles were long enough for weight distribution, but there
are riders out there doing well in them.  You need to know that the tack
that works at 10, 25, even 50 miles may not work for you both at the next
distance up.  Small problems magnify with time in the saddle.

Choose a time when the horse is unlikely to have even minimal soreness in
his back (after a lay off, etc.).  Run your fingertips down his back lightly
(light stroking) to feel for any bumps, lumps, scaly skin, "thickening",
etc.  Then press firmly (without digging in) to see if he is sore anywhere.
Note if there are any white hairs...  these are areas of old pressure damage
that impaired the hair follicle's ability to produce pigment.  Old pressure
spots may show up as the lumps, bumps, and thickened areas, or these spots
may be bug bites :-)  Pay close attention to the loin area, withers, and
under the rider's seat bones.

Put the saddle on the horse's back without a pad. Look to see that it clears
the withers and spine, yet has contact down the length of the back.  It
should not balance like a see-saw on the spine (saddle too wide) nor perch
on top of the back & want to roll over (too narrow).  Beware bridging where
just the front & back of the saddle panels make contact with the back.
These four areas will take up all of the rider & saddle's weight and cause
soreness!

Lounge the horse in a large (20 meter) circle both directions, looking
closely at his gait.  Then lounge again with the saddle & usual pad on,
preferably with a rider.  (Perhaps YOU ride and a horseman friend does the
watching.)  Look for the same freedom of stride, impulsion, rounded top
line.  The saddle & rider should not impair his way of going.

Ride enough that the horse sweats up well under the saddle at your usual
pace & style.  Then pull the saddle & look for dry spots, lumps, etc.  While
these are called heat bumps, they are actually areas of damage caused by
pressure cutting off circulation to the spot.  Old wives tales had us slowly
loosening saddles & waiting 30-60 minutes to remove them 20 years ago.  Now
we know that this doesn't help.  If you get these spots, your saddle doesn't
fit!  Waiting to remove the saddle only retains heat for the horse (& in
many areas, that may be critical if heat & humidity are up!)

If you get pressure spots because your saddle is too tight, adding a cushy
pad WILL NOT HELP!  Think about your own feet - "Gee my shoes are too tight
& they pinch.  I'll put on some thick padded socks.  Gee, they're STILL too
tight!"  If the saddle needs some padding to prevent bridging, a good pad
may help.  You may look for a shock absorbing pad for general back
tenderness or as a preventative against future wear & tear.  Just remember
that an excellent pad will not fix a poorly fitted saddle.

Some saddles allow the rigging to change easily.  Experiment with the
rigging (ie billets, girth rigging) if it is adjustable to see if it
improves a saddle's fit.  I've found moving the rigging back frees the
shoulder up if you like to girth up tightly (we don't usually tighten it
that much).  A more centered rigging will also give the horse more room to
stride without rubbing his elbows on the girth.  (We have one gelding who
went from a "Western Pleasure" jog to a 22 mph extended road trot when we
got the rigging out of his way.  He prefers a center fire position.)

Last of all, be sure that the saddle fits you.  Most of us will sacrifice
some comfort if the saddle fits the horse, but an obvious mismatch will
change the rider's equitation to the point where it may hinder the horse.

No one brand of saddle fits every horse, but there is enough variety out
there that you can find what you need.  Welcome to the Great Saddle Hunt!

Linda Flemmer
Blue Wolf Ranch