1998 TEVIS CUP RIDE UPDATE

Hello RideCamp Groupies ...

Would you believe, only 24 days before The Western States Trail Ride on
August 8, 1998 with 238 riders and horses/mules ready to START and only
12 entries left before we go to the WAITING LIST for a count over 250.
If anyone still wants to volunteer contact me ASAP as the list is going
out to all our Head Volunteers.  The entry price goes to $325 if
postmarked or received after July 15, 1998 so if you want to enter, you
better fax your entry, with credit card number, IMMEDIATELY.  If you
can't make the Ride, be sure to "watch" at our website
http://www.foothill.net/tevis

Following is part of my report to the Executive Committee of the Western
States Trail Foundation for your information and consideration:

MEMO

DATE: July 15, 1998
TO:  Bill Pieper, President - WSTF Board of Governors
FROM: Larry Suddjian, 1998 Ride Director
SUBJECT: WSTF Executive Committee Meeting Report

meeting set for Wednesday, July 15, 1998, please consider the following:

ITEM VII.B - 1998 Ride Planning

As of July 14, 1998 (23 days before the Ride) rider entries are as
follows: 238 entries, plus 18 cancellations, of which 20 States and 5
countries are represented.  In addition, 121 stall rentals are in
place.  We have 5 junior riders entered so far and of the total entries
received to date, 187 persons have said "yes" for the buckle award and
69 (37%) have waived the buckle to get the $50 discount.  Another
interesting statistic: 94 riders (39.5%) are FIRST TIME TEVIS ENTRANTS.
If the BOG members haven't sent their entry in ...REMEMBER ONLY 24 DAYS
TO RIDE DAY and it's probably too late as the dreaded "waiting list"
will probably go into effect in the next day or so!

We have a "sponsor " for the production of the volunteer T-shirts!
Please give a big THANK YOU to Easyboot/Easy Care, Inc. and the Ford
family for their generous donation.  In exchange, we have applied their
neat logo to strategic spots on the 600 T-shirts.  This year will be the
best ever for a collector item souvenir as Kristin Thornton has again
DONATED the graphics for the 6 color design.  Kristin is Laughing Horse
Design.

The Head Volunteer meeting will be 6 PM, Wednesday, July 22 at the Gold
Country Fairgrounds.  All BOG's are encouraged to attend and show your
appreciation to the many volunteers that make this Ride possible. All
supplies will be handed out at that time.

A few things that are happening this year: All checkpoints will again
track the temp and humidity for future reference; all checkpoints with
"gate" will have a time in/out log; communications will be coordinated
by Jerry Holm with packet organized by Jim Pearce;  maximum riders on
NHB will be six (6) DISMOUNTED (per signs posted on the Bridge and
confirmed by Steve Anderson) and walking ~ violators WILL BE
DISQUALIFIED; traffic control to Michigan Bluff ~ a NO CREW ALLOWED
CHECKPOINT ~ will be coordinated by Russ Melanson of Foresthill Trail
Alliance; Sponsors of junior riders MUST sign off to a new sponsor and
Head Volunteer at checkpoint where pulled sponsor hands-off MUST
approve; riders will be encouraged to WALK horse at the slippery spots
on Squaw Valley road (signs will be posted); new  trail from Dusty
Corners to Last Chance will be ready and used this year; Francisco's (NO
CREWS) will be used; new trail at Poverty Bar to picnic tables will
again be used; Dr. Carlson plans more studies this year; Michigan Bluff
will be a 15 MINUTE HOLD AFTER CRITERIA REACHED and Foresthill will be a
60 MINUTE HOLD AFTER CRITERIA REACHED; cut-off time at MB will remain at
7:00PM in and Foresthill cut-off time will be 8:30PM at the IN TIMER;
Jack Velasco has accepted the duties of Head Volunteer at MB ... THANKS
JACK for this duty; Robinson Flat will have traffic controlled by
issuance of a vehicle pass (one pass ~ one rider) that will be checked
at Sailor Flat.  This is an effort to let the USFS know we can control
things as to not lose the privilege of crews allowed at RF ... let's
hope everyone cooperates.

If any BOG needs to have a job on Ride day (if you are not riding)
PLEASE CONTACT me.  We still need help with HORSE TRANSPORT helpers,
helpers to set-up the stage for award banquet.  We need 100% BOG
participation ...~ work the Ride or Ride the Ride  .

 Be sure to check the WebSite at http://www.foothill.net/tevis for the
latest trail updates and current rider list.

WE ARE READY ...

Respectfully submitted,

Larry Suddjian, 1998 Ride Director

cc: Executive Committee Members (8)