Re: Two Questions

On Tue, 14 Jul 1998 20:02:54 -0400 Linda S. Flemmer wrote:

> > 2) How are the lightweight riders making weight for FEI rides?
>
> It's been a few years since I sold endurance tack to folks trying to make FEI weight, so double check the current
FEI
> rules, but...I saw folks buying heavy bridles, solid core bits or (heavy) sleister hackamores.

The TD did not allow us to weigh with our bridles. That surprised me as it would have helped me make up for a few
pounds. Nor ankle boots or heart rate monitors.

 Rubatex gel pads were
> popular  since they were 7-10 lbs, move w/ horse without bouncing around, they "breathed" unlike the
non-endurance gel
> pads.  Saw money belts lined with bird shot or fishing weights, weight in saddle pads (seemed to be hard on the
horse).
> Weighted stirrups seemed to be a bad idea - a lot of complaints about knee pain.  IV fluids in pommel packs
were ok - if
> you need to break the seal, you weren't going any further in that ride anyway!

My thought exactly, but I didn't add the administration set. But they were still dead weight on his back and after 24
miles I swapped my english pad for a western cut pad to protect his back as much as possible.

They do allow for a 5 lb weight loss, so the TD suggested drinking a lot before weighing in. I downed a Gatorade
and Coke and it was all I could do to hold my tack on the scale cuz my bladder was about to burst!
Thanks for the advice!
Cheers,
Trisha

Trisha Dowling, DVM, MS, Diplomate ACVIM & ACVCP
Associate Professor, Veterinary Clinical Pharmacology
Western College of Veterinary Medicine
Saskatoon, SK S7N 5B4
306-966-7359/FAX 306-966-7376