Age question

It is supposed to be the horses actual birthdate. For an unregistered horse, the decision of the ride vet is final. I don't know if many people check routinely, but at a ride I helped at this spring I noticed someone wrote "3" on their entry, they didn't know there was a minimum age. So they didn't start. I'm sure some young ones get through, but the vet should catch it at the pre ride if it's very young.
Nancy Mitts
Central Region