Re: teaching a horse to be sure-footed

I have definately seen my mare become more sure-footed over time, just
from experience on trails. I don't think she had ever been up or down
hills when I got her, so she has come a long way. It has been very
rewarding to watch her go up and down difficult trails and learn about
foot placement. Her confidence has greatly increased. She can go
confindently up and down staircase-like trails, rocks, step down
ledges,  and water. I am still working on bogs and mud  and general
speed increases. I definately can see her make decisions about where to
place her feet.

I don't think you can "teach" them, I just believe that you can expose
them to difficult terrain slowly and hope they learn. I think if you
bring on very difficult terrain too soon, horses can get frustrated and
scared. Scrambling is a sign that the horse is unsure and uncomfortable.
I also believe that some horses will never be sure-footed, it is not in
their make-up. I rode a horse once who was always tripping, 'cause he
just didn't pay attention.

Lauren