Re: RV pulling a Horse trailer?????

We have had our 1989 23ft. Ford 460, cab-overhead RV for a few months
now. I pull a 1997 Trails West, steel, 2 horse slant load. We do wish
now that we had bought a lighter trailer, as when the RV is packed with
stuff and the trailer is packed with horses and hay bales, the load does
get heavy, and 50# here and there can add up real fast. We almost
over-heated once, up a grade in 110 degrees while pulling a boat. I
turned the heater on and it helped.

The first thing we did was install a brake box and beef-up the hitch by
welding more metal and steel to the area.

The RV pulls real well and strong but slow. 25 miles per hour, in first
gear is not uncommon up steep grades. Going down grades is another
matter and I learned more about that this weekend. I experienced brake
failure while towing the horses!! I was careful not to over use my
brakes and I was in 2nd gear but I guess it wasn't good enough. Luckly,
my brakes didn't go out until I was at the bottom of the grade and was
on flat ground. I was so scared. There is nothing like the feeling of
pushing on your brake pedal and having it go all the way to the ground.
Our brakes heated up so much that our brake fluid boiled and caused air
in the lines. My RV goes into the shop today to check out and re-adjust
our brake system.

Overall, we are happy with our RV and after years of camping and
sleeping in tents and trucks, I feel mighty happy and deserving of the
"luxury".

Good luck Cheryl and have Fun,

Lauren