Why use a saddle?

Good question, Luc. I would like to know, if saddles are mandatory, what are
the minimum requirements for a saddle.  I haven't found one yet that doesn't
hurt me or my horse.  Unlike you, I need something between me and that
backbone but I don't know how to get it right.
  On the other hand, my daughter rides bareback most of the time. We found
out that the show ring requires a saddle. The reason given was safety.
   Sherman