feed question

The 'discussion' on ridecamp got me a worked up over my feed again.  I have
feed Omelene 200 for YEARS.  I have looked and looked for a similar quality
grain with a high fat and lower protein, but haven't been able to find
anything that works as well, despite the high protein (14%), fat 4.5%

Yesterday, I talked to a guy that is the nutritionalist for a small custom
grain company that will make me anything I want, but with only 5 horses, I
can only use about half a minimum order.  They have a 'standard' mix that I
am going to try, but the guy is very interested in working with me.  He
thinks he may have a couple of other customers who would be interested in
switching,  if we fine tuned this mix for higher, long-haul performance.

I told him about the list and he would like some feed back before he starts
mixing, since he has no experience with endurance horses.

the current mix:
protein	12%
fat%	4%
fiber 	10%

main ingredients:
cracked corn	21%
oats		52%
alf pellet	15%
soybean	3.75%
and has a balanced vitamin/mineral.

I told him take out the Alfalfa pellet, raise the fat and lower the
protein.
this is what he is thinking:

To use wheat mids, cracked corn and soy hulls and the main ingredients.
and he wanted to know what yall thought about Milo. Apparently, he likes it
for some reasons, but has questions about it, he didn't go into detail
about that with me.  and (I think) he was talking about mixing with corn
oil instead of molasses.
He thinks he can get about a 11% protein and maybe 8% fat. with this
combination of grains giving a steady, long-lasting 'burn'.

He said the soy hulls are almost identical to beet pulp and don't have to
be soaked.  I could tell that this is an issue for him.  He thinks that is
a good product, but it looks bad (cheap) in the grain.  He showed me some,
it looks like crap off the floor. (but look at beet pulp)

I will print the recent relevant posts from the archives, but any
additional, specific, information would be appreciated.

Thanks, Becky Huffman & Shadowfax