teaching a horse to be sure-footed

From: Robin Simone
Email: sbdcgln@ibm.net

I have a 3 year old mare. She's been professionally started and I'm doing the
finishing touches. She responds to leg
pressure very well when I ask for it, but when there is no leg pressure she thinks she can go any where she wants. I'm concerned about this on the trail. I can't have her wandering on a narrow path. How do you teach a horse to be sure-footed on the trails? I have access to fire road trails as well as steep, hilly, and narrow trails. Thanks, Robin