Re: Cupped Soles

Depends on what she means by cupping. Almost everyone removes some
sole during the trimming process to avoid sole pressure on the shoes,
perhaps this is what she means. It's unlikely that you can trim enough
sole to completely avoid stones without compromising the hoof.

One interesting theory about stone bruises is that they are caused by
improper hoof angles. The theory goes.... If the hoof lands heel first
say, and there is a stone under it, the horse does not sense it, put's
it's full weight down and the secondary impact of the toe brings the
sole in contact with the stone and causes the bruise..... If the hoof
lands flat, then the sole feels the stone right away before the full
weight is put on the foot and you get a sort of hop or stumble on that
foot as the horse avoids putting all his weight on it, thus avoiding
the bruise. The general idea seems to aim for about a 56 degree hoof
and keep the bars the same distance off the ground (L and R side of
foot) as a good starting point for most horses, even if their P1-P2-P3
line suggests another angle.

So for starters watch your horse and see how the hoof lands, adjust
accordingly.

Another way that will help is to use a thicker shoes like the aluminum
titanium magnesium alloy shoes from Horseshoes 2000. These are pricey
though and wear a little faster than steel shoes. You can also as for
wide webbed shoes which will cover more of the bottom of the foot and
give you a little more defense. There is of course the Easyboot.

---Lauren Horn <lhorn@home.com> wrote:

> In Nancy Loving's excellent book, Go The Distance, she recommends that
> the sole of the hoof be "cupped" as to help prevent stone
> bruises/injuries. What I don't understand is, if she advocates
trimming
> to a cupped shape or only buying horses whose soles are naturaly
cupped
> shaped. Both my farriers say "no way" to trimming and thining the sole
> to a cupped shape and I haven't had luck with pads (as the shoes fall
> off). What can I do to prevent stone bruises when riding in rocky
> terrain?
>
> Lauren

==
Nicco Murphy - Poway, San Diego, CA