Re: Trucks--another option

Maybe I just haven't had my morning coffee yet, but
a couple things in this post don't make sense to me.

First, who out there has owned 3 different trucks dated
1997 and 1998 in the 6 months?  Geez, must be me.  Not
like I make a little amount of money sitting here in the
middle of the silicon valley.  But I can't afford the FIRST
truck.  What's up with that???

>The ranchers all have very specific
>reasons why they chose gas for our cold, high altitude climate.

The gas engines start much more reliably in cold high altitude.
Diesels struggle to get going under these conditions because
the glow plugs must be warm to fire.

>These diesels may tow but
>they have no torque.

Have no torque?  That's what a diesel is good at.  I think
maybe a trip to the library to look up the definition of
torque is in order.  While there look up the torque curves
for the gas and the diesel in the consumer reports truck guide.

>Rapid response is not part of their job description.

Diesels are not fast.  They are not ment to be.  They are
powerful.  They have a job.  Like a Draft horse.  That's why
all the 18 wheelers are diesels not gas.  Diesels have
torque instead of speed.  Gas engines have speed but it takes
a lot more engine to come close to the torque of a diesel.

>Then a man who tows really big outfits all the time told me to go try the
>1998 Dodge V10. He bought it after one sped by his cummings on one of our
>steepest mountain passes.

Yup.  If you want speed, buy a gas engine.  I'm sure the V10
is wonderful.  450 cu. in. of American muscle.  What's the big
surprise in that?  Of course then you join those who drive from
gas pump to gas pump.  That's a personal choice, not a surprise.

>(a oil change on the diesel with filter change cost
>$475 at the SLC Dodge dealer).

Benefit of the doubt... this must be a typo.  12 quarts of
oil never cost no one over $400.

Personally I think if the V10 is what you want that's
great.  I don't agree with the torque statement though.
Look up those curves.  But I totally agree a HD 3/4 ton
Diesel or V10 is the minimum you want for a tow vehicle.
And the longer the wheelbase the better.  See those posts
about trailer chains to figure out why.

-  kat myers
in San Mateo, CA with Magnum the TB ex-racer aka "Little Matador"
and Mr Maajistic... aka "Blue"