Trucks--another option

Steph,

Why are you limiting your choices to the diesels?  I too thought that I
should have a diesel as everyone seems to be using them.  My husband is a
diehard Ford gas engine man, my ranch buddies are all Ford people and all
prefer gas. It is interesting to me that only my town buddies buy the
Powerstrokes and Cummings/Dodges. The ranchers all have very specific
reasons why they chose gas for our cold, high altitude climate.

Sooooo, when I went truck shopping in December, I was sure that I needed a
diesel from reading the RIdecamp posts.  I first brought home a 1997 one ton
Ford dually diesel.  Very practical! Very good at towing! Good fuel mileage!
AND Very Boring!  Hubby was distraught over the standard transmission and
the standard cab (all you could get in a one ton Ford before 1998). I have
to admit this was not one of my standard "Joane" vehicles but it was
definitely a real ranch truck.

Then I tried a 1997 Dodge one ton dually diesel.  Now this had creature
comforts.  Extended cab, beautiful interior--very inviting BUT I felt like I
was floating between gears and pedaling to get going.  I drive a custom
corvette and am certified to race Nascar. I'm used to a vehicle that
responsed immediately when you step on the gas.  These diesels may tow but
they have no torque. Rapid response is not part of their job description.

Then a man who tows really big outfits all the time told me to go try the
1998 Dodge V10. He bought it after one sped by his cummings on one of our
steepest mountain passes.

I was instantly in love.  In my opinion, my V10 is outpreforming my friends
cummings/Dodge's and the Powerstrokes. They think so too! Not one could keep
up with me on the last trip.

I compared the fact that I spend more at the gas pump but my maintance
schedule is much cheaper (a oil change on the diesel with filter change cost
$475 at the SLC Dodge dealer).  I decided I'd spend more at the gas pump to
have the power and the quietness of the gas engine.  Six months and 10,000
miles later my V10 Quad Cab Dodge is also the sharpest truck in town.  Even
the new Fords do not have the styling or creature comforts of the Dodge.

Go try the V10.  I understand that Ford is also making one this year.

Joane and Herd