Re: Truck question - Ford power stroke vs. Dodge cummins

Steph, I don't think we haul such a heavy load as you mention, but my husband
absolutely LOVES his Dodge with the Cummins diesel. He's been through the
Chevy diesel (engine converted from gasoline to run on diesel, Chevy's first
attempt at a diesel), the Ford (he had to add a Banks Turbo Charger in order
to run efficiently over Donner and other passes), and now the Dodge.  No one
can pry him loose from his Dodge.  The forestry dept. in our business keeps
asking him if it isn't time to turn it over to them and he says "NO", it's
still running just fine for him, thank you.  It has tons of power and although
I don't follow the maintenance program on it, I certainly haven't heard him
mention any problems.

We have a 20' aluminum gooseneck stock trailer into which we built living
quarters in the front half. We could haul 4 horses in the back half, just tied
to the rails (no stalls).  Usually we haul no more than three, plus about four
bales of hay and everything else we need for a multi-day ride.

If you are interested in further opinion, e-mail me back and I will ask Lud
for more particulars.  We've been everywhere rough with this truck (4WD, 'roo
guard and winch) and although it hasn't a huge mileage on it, it has lived a
rough life.  It's the closest thing to a bulldozer that a truck can be.  And
still going strong.

Barbara Mc