Re: Digessci-ti's version

<<
 I really promised myself I would keep
 quiet anstop cluttering ridecamp. Also I have
 a lot if other things that I need to get done (ie: work! Ride!)
 However, in ti's lengthy post on the scientific papers
 (all of which by the way I have read) he was a bit
 selective as to the results he presented-
 I really don't have time to go into them all but
 for example he forgot to include that the horses on corn
 in Stull and rodiek's study went hypoglycemic after two hours
 whereas the alfalfa fed horses maintained normal glucose.

During exercise, the blood sugar of the carb-fed horses fell slightly below
that of the fasted and alfalfa-fed horses (4.0 mmol/l vs 4.5 mmol/l), then
rebounded nicely. This occurs because the carb feeding encourages the use of
carbohydrate-based fuel vs FFAs. It is a normal result of carbohydrate
feeding.  Hypoglycemic? No. Volatile substrate shunting? Yes.

>In the Farris study
 (done in
 conjunction with my colleague Ken McKeever) they were infusing
 glucose whjile the horses were working on the treadmill-they
 fatigued in less than two hours-sounds good for our sport, no?>

Their conclusion: "An explanation for the glucose-induced prolongation of
exercise couble be the availability of additional substrate during exercise."
Sure doesn't sound like they found glucose infusion to cause fatigue, Sarah.
Is English your first language?

 >As far as the lack of research on forage-there is
 some, it's just that it is a lot easier to feed high concentrate
 diets in the controlled research setting - hay is a real pain when
 you are rtrying to measure exactly ewhat the animals are
 eating!!

So, lack of research gives those with the "right" to have an authoritative
opinion a whole lot of room for erroneous extrapolation. This is why dozens of
papers, all reproducing the same result, are necessary before the science
becomes trustworthy.

ti