Re: Big bone vs small bone

In a message dated 98-06-26 02:22:56 EDT, Tivers writes:

<< I can tell you this: the top TB trainers are selecting at the yearling
sales for short cannon bones. >>

Short cannon bones do make good biomechanical sense.  However, like any other
trait, when one becomes so enamored with that trait that they do not consider
the rest of the horse, then Katy-bar-the-door!  I have seen the same thing
with a few of the endurance people into the cannon bone circumference
thing--gee, this horse has an 8" circumference, isn't that great, no never
mind that he is 16-2 and weighs 1250, and has shallow, shelly feet, and an
upright shoulder, and a ewe neck, and bench knees, and no hip, and a long back
and weak loin, and he interferes behind.  Bigod he has 8" cannons!

Heidi