Re: Big bone vs small bone

In a message dated 98-06-26 00:57:06 EDT, CMKSAGEHIL@aol.com writes:

<<
 I agree.  I am just curious (and do not know the answer, and likely never
 will, since it is impossible to measure bone on dead horses of yesteryear) as
 to whether there is more breakdown now, and whether bone is finer now.  I
 still think it is a minor contributor, compared to lack of condition.

 Heidi >>

I can tell you this: the top TB trainers are selecting at the yearling sales
for short cannon bones. that's one factor they think is important--mainly
because Secretariat had short cannon bones.

One of my clients is a fellow who invested just under $10 million in TB
yearlings three years ago. Send them to a Derby Winning trainer. His four best
horses, and the only hopes to salvage his investment, are now dead. Not just
injured, but dead. Most of the rest of the 50-some horses are injured in one
way or another.

The last horse that died came up off in the left fore the day before the race.
The big time trainer in charge "fried" the foot. This intricate procedure
involves heating up an electric skillet, then placing it on the foot until the
hoof has no more feeling in it. next day, the horse raced and snapped off a
leg.

All of the horses in the stable have had every injection any vet could think
of--tens of thousands of dollars worth.

My statement to the owner, because it was his responsibility in the end, was
as follows:

Bismark told his recruiters, "send me the smart and lazy--they make good
generals. Send me the smart and energetic--they make good officers. Send me
the stupid and lazy--they make good foot soldiers. But send the stupid and
energetic to the enemy--they'll ruin the army." And, Sir, you should send your
whole crew to Bob Baffert.

ti