Re: Carbs - only part of the picture

On Wed, 24 Jun 1998 12:48:51 EDT, Tivers@aol.com wrote:

>Fortunately, this thread began with endurance people reporting their
>beneficial experiences feeding carbs during a ride. If you would prefer that
>those people not report their results so that you can maintain your opinions,
>then I invite them all to report to me, leaving you to your bliss.

>By the way, the protocol for carbohydrate feedings in endurance horses is
>nothing like that used with racehorses. It took us a couple of years to figure
>out what worked with endurance horses, and many of the people in this
>newsgroup helped figure it out--while you and others were screaming "foul".

However, I did not respond to the posts about feeding carbs during a
ride -- although I did read them with interest, and filed the info
away for future reference (when Nykoss is ready to run up front).

I responded to that portion of the thread where you were talking about
feeding 15 - 20 pounds or more of grain per day, and asserting that
endurance horses are underfed.  And further, implied that if only
endurance was as "competitive" as the track we would feed your way.

I say again:  if you're going to tell endurance folks how to feed our
horses for competition, you need to learn more about endurance
training and competition.  Some of the information you bring to this
list is very good, but some of it is so far off base it could mislead
an inexperienced endurance rider into doing things that could hurt
their horse (like overfeeding grain).

--

Joe Long
jlong@mti.net