Re: quarter horses

> Do I need an Arabian to ride in the 50's or 100?  I have a 10 y.o quarter horse gelding
> who looks like a TB.  He has decent feet and is good on trails around my house.
>
> Are there riders out there using QH's?

My horse's sire is a big, ol' whomping bulldog QH that his owner took to
endurance rides and EVERYBODY told Ona she "couldn't" do endurance with
a horse like that, that he couldn't do this and couldn't do that.  She
just went out and did it anyway and that included good finishes years
ago at tough rides like the Bighorn 100.  I don't think that horse ever
got pulled once.

They also told her not to breed that horse to arab mares, because the
offspring wouldn't be able to do endurance.  But they do, including my
guy Cato, big chunky butt and all.

  How do you know if you have a decent mount
> for that type of riding?

Go ride him at an endurance ride.  Have fun.  Ride some more.  Have more
fun.  If eventually someone calls your name and hands you a t-shirt, a
bucket or a bungee cord, you have a good horse for that kind of thing.

Good luck and never listen to "can't".  You can, and have the extra
added bonus of being able to smirk and say I Told You So.:-D

Susan G