Re: quarter horses

On Tue, 23 Jun 1998, Rebecca Chickering wrote:

> Do I need an Arabian to ride in the 50's or 100?  I have a 10 y.o
> quarter horse gelding who looks like a TB.  He has decent feet and is
> good on trails around my house.

No you don't NEED an Arabian, and yes, some people are competing on
Quarter HOrses (and some people are competing on TB's---probably more than
on QHs).  You will, however, be in the minority, even amog the people who
don't ride Arabians.  Quarter horses are not generally the "alternative to
Arabians" of choice.

Just because some people are doing endurance on quarter horses doesn't
mean that YOUR horse can do it, but just because most people aren't
doesn't mean that your horse cant.

> Are there riders out there using QH's?  How do you know if you have a
> decent mount for that type of riding?

Some are, but not many.  The way you know if you have a decent mount for
endurance riding is to try it and see....assuming that he is sound to
start with.

kat
Orange County, Calif.