"You Can Lead a Horse to Water"

This El Nino year in the west has afforded us with ample water on the trail, however, it almost seems as though this has led my Gabe into complacency about drinking when offered water. Is this possible?

I rode for about 5.5 hours in mild temps with light breeze; the challenge was the 3,000+ elevation gain. We  crossed countless streams, creeks, rivulets, etc., (and, yes, Gabe is very willing to drink out of any water source, including the faint dribbles out of snowpack), but this day he didn't even attempt to drink until about 4 hours into the ride.

I realize there are a million factors that could have been at work, I was just wondering if any of you have a "trick" to get a horse to drink, say, when you know this is the last source of water for many miles. A friend of mine told me to rub a small bit of plain salt on the gums to entice to drink.

It could be that the air temps were cool enough, but at 6,500 feet, Gabe still has half his winter coat and heat build-up is still a factor. His heart rate was in the normal range for him. Parts of the trail would put fear in a mountain goat.....in fact I wouldn't take any of my friends on this trail....so Gabe was working hard.

I've read the posts about just driving them on and continuing to work them if they don't want to drink; also the posts about just waiting at a water source until the do drink ( we could wait forever!)

Anyway, any helpful hints about tricks to "convince" them they need to drink would be helpful. Thanks!

--
Deanne Del Vecchio & Gabe~~I don't feel like drinkin' when I gotta pee!
AERC MEMBER~~WEST