Disaster Preparedness or ...when..."Smoke gets in your eyes."

Coming to you from Central 'hot" Florida, just some smoke filled thoughts. Not
much has changed in the ways of disaster preparedness for animals since the
fires of 1985, in our county. At that time, we helped evacuate 40 horses and
hauled a fire line team out of  some  fires.

 Since Hurricane Andrew, the DART program made some inroads and momentum
through horse clubs and The Sunshine State Horse Council. Yet, only the
Florida Cattlemen are doing low profile horse/livestock evacuations in our
county (we've had as high as 45 fires burning this past weekend). I found out
about the Cattlemen when talking with a county official about offering to help
with evacuations plus suggesting an additional animal shelter location. I was
told that my suggestions, offer for assistance would be passed on to the
County Animal Control Department Director. Not real encouraging, but the
shelter suggestion was contacted and they opened their properties this a.m.

 We've had fires within five miles of our properties at home and our business
near Daytona  which brings ash/smoke/respiratory complications.

 A friend called tonight and a fire is within 3 miles. We sadly noted that
while many of us have cleared acreage, some romantics have kept their trees
(aka Roman Candles) and it's their animals that have to get out before a fire
gets within three miles.

 Lots of questions, how long can horses sustain smoke inhalation in the degree
(no pun) we're experiencing before there is damage. As a human, I'm wearing
particle masks doused in water when the haze is thick (visibility on our
property has been less than 500 yards at times). For the animals, I have tried
keeping them in dampened stalls during the most serious fallout. I pondered
the use of fly masks but, because the ash is so fine, that I think it would
silt up and filter through. As a human, I'm taking allegra or benadryl when
the irritations get too high. With my 4 legged boys, I'm giving them soupy
feed, forcing liquids. Feeding hay while locked
in dampened stalls changing the atmosphere to more humidity has kept my 4 boys
with less nasal discharge than my neighbor's 2 out in hot, open sand.

So far, I've not been able to find any research for animals. All this has
caused me to wonder just how well we horse owners could fight fires on our
properties and how seriously we take these natural disasters. We haven't
seemed to gather our respective intelligences and forces and made plans for
What If... I'm sorry most is common sense which seems to be in about as much
shortage as our rain. And, yes, I know there are some pamplets floating about
and maybe even a book.  But when it comes to Crisis Management teams, animal
experts seem to be in shortfall.  And, this higher up county official said, "
Linda, you'd be amazed at how many people are refusing to evacuate because of
their animals".  (no kidding Dick Tracey !)

It took a major hurricane and terrible tornadoes for the county to open one
shelter which allows people and their animals.  And, why wouldn't race tracks
and training facilities immediately offer their grounds? Our clubs with arenas
or show facilities? Am I missing something here?  A family with dogs and cats
would take a stall with water even...

Forgive me for taking your time and space and possibility not meeting
RideCamp's criteria. We not only use the trails, but we need to be there to
help with crisis management, planning, evacuations, etc. BEFORE it happens and
you learn how disorganized it really is.  Organized, official groups could
really make important contributions.

Thanks,  in advance, for allowing me to let off a little smoke!!!
Prayers for safety, rain, and help when or if you need it.

Linda in DeLeon