Re: Hay Blends

As long as the hay is just super-rich and not moldy or anything else
like that that would disqualify it as horse feed, you CAN feed it to
endurance horses, it's just that a little goes a VERY long ways.  I
occasionally get given some hay like that from some of my clients that I
consult for and I just feed it off a handful at a time, and I do mean by
the handful.  I personally prefer to feed something like that around 10%
alfala to 90% grass hay, but I suppose you could go a LITTLE higher than
that, to maybe 25/75.  The only horses I would feed more to would be
lactating broodmares and youngsters and even those I don't go above
50/50.  However, if you're only growing alfalfa and not other grass
hays, I'm not sure how you could dilute it then and there---you might
just crack a bale and point out this is high-octane stuff and qualifies
more as a "supplement" than just a hay!  Not that I go looking for
alfalfa, but when I do, I prefer this kind of really good, leafy stuff,
just because I know I'll be dribbling it out...

Don't know if this is much help to you, probably not.  Geez, I envy you
for having your own hay fields, yum yum...

Susan