Re: Horses eating tree

Hi all...

Forgive any repaeats of information, but I think the digest might be
missing a few posts (I keep seeing quotes from posts I never read...
hmmm).  Anyway, black walnut is a big no-no, whether used as bedding or
eaten.  Acorns from oak trees can also cause problems.  They have a
considerable amount of tannins in the raw state (although Native
Americans leached the tannins out of acorns before using as a food
source).  Symptoms of toxic levels in the horse include excessive
slobbering, choking reactions, as well as others. I had to watch an old
pony die from grazing on acorns that had fallen into his stall.  The vet
tried his best, but to no avail, unfortunately.

Just a tad bit of info....

Kim