Re: Rice Bran

Duncan Fletcher wrote:

> Which means that the numbers I gave in my example could actually be worse.

Possibly.

 I am aware of the variability which is why I don't like to see marginal
ratios (unless based on actual tested values). Yes, feeding calcium
carbonate solves the problem. My problem is the feed salesman said there
wasn't any problem.

I have yet to find a feed salesman that actually has a degree in animal
nutrition or physiology.  The big feed manufacturer come recruit from
Cal Poly all the time and their only requirements are a BS in
Agriculture---agronomy, agribusiness, horticulture, whatever.  A really
prime candidate IS from the animal science department, but may or may
not have taken the classes that really get into the details of mineral
metabolism---that's mostly grad level stuff.  So I tend not to listen to
*most* feed saleman's opinions very much.  Maybe I'm just cynical, but I
think the operative word is "sales".

 The example proves otherwise. The variability you mention makes the
potential worse.

It could.  Or better.  Or of no concern at all.  As you point out, NRC
values are vairable---I've ALSO gotten highly variable differences in
rice bran--not just calcium and phosphorus, but protein levels and fat
levels as well, though I didn't run enough samples to make any broad
statements one way or the other.

Anyway, the point is alfalfa is fine (though not my favorite) for
balancing calcium-phosphorus ratios, but alfalfa is really easy to
overfeed and cause as many, or more problems as an *occasionally* mildly
inverted calcium-phosphorus ratio.

Oddly enough, there's some recent research that indicates that an
inverted calcium-phosphorus ratio may even at times have a place in
managing endurance horses.  Though, don't everyone go upping their
phosphorus ratios just yet, it's all just theory so far.  But
interesting just the same.

Duncan, I can just PICTURE that poor feed saleman cringing in a corner
whimpering pitifully "but it's not a problem" as your teeth clack at his
throat.  Go get 'em! :-D

Susan