Slant-hauls causing strains worse than straights or stocks?

An acquaintance who hauls a  jumper many miles has an interesting theory
she has developed from the use of both a slant and a straight haul and from
watching how other's horses go through 3 day and other tough performance
events.  I have not heard of anyone else recognizing this problem and yet
it seems a real possibility.  Have any of you seen horses who seem to be
stressed on the 'forward legs' by long travel in slant-loads?

Victoria's theory is that the decelerating causes the horse to rock and
shift balance often enough to stress the forward legs-I think I have this
right, that it is the relatively sharp decelerations that cause most
trouble.  She claims a signifigant number more slant-hauled horses show
weariness/lameness than horses hauled in straight hauls, either head
forward or head back, or loose-to-move in stock trailers.

Anyone else experienced anything to support this?

Ann