Re: TTeam Bit

L Eisele wrote:

>       Hi Deena, hope you don't mind but could you explain alittle how
> this team bit works and how it enables the horse to round and why it is
> different from other bits, especially in the area of control and lastly
> how advanced is this bit in terms of the rider and horse.  Thankyou,
> Linda
>
> Linda Eisele & Sareei and
> hubby, Allen & LS Iceman
> & the young LS Lakota
> nevadaghostridr@webtv.net

Dear Linda,

I could write all night about the benefits of the TTEAM rollerbit...as
a matter of fact, I just tried to and something went awray with this
computer and I lost everything!

Soooo, moving right along, in the most recent issue of TTEAM UP WITH
YOUR HORSE, (MAY/JUNE '98) the whole thing is described in detail..the
issue is mostly devoted to bitting and includes an excellent article
by Joyce Harman, DVM,MRCVS titled: A Breakthrough in Bitting for Comfort
and Performance....just excellent!

>From the article, "Introduction to the rollerbit":

In essence, the TTEAM roller bit is a time-tested tool to induce
softness through the tongue, poll, neck and shoulders..not an instrument
of leveraage and control. Interestingly, you don't even have to ride
with the rollerbit to reap its benefits..the rollerbit is especially
effective for horses that are ewe necked,heavy on the forehand, strung
out, stiff in the back or hindquarters, sour,fuss with the bit or have
an uneven gait. Simply having your horse carry the bit during longeing
will begin changing his balance and way of going in the first session.

The TTEAM rollerbit is a stainless steel bit with a copper roller and
curved, loose-jawed shanks that we use as a training bit with two sets
of narrow, light reins. Used in this way, it acts somewhat like a
Pelham, but the copper roller and higher port are the keys to softening
the horse's jaw, activating the hindquarters, and creating much more
"swing" in the back.........the port is angled back slightly to allow
room for the tongue and palate. The copper roller is slightly raised
above the tongue and requires the horse to lift its tongue to roll the
roller, which has the effect of softening the jaw. The loose,
curved-back shank helps to soften the poll, which in turn activates the
pelvis and frees the back. IN CONTRAST, a straight-shanked bit has the
tendency to flex a horse at the poll more stiffly.
1-800-829-9402.....THIS IS AN EXCELLENT ISSUE...

I'm a TTEAM Practioner...so I was introduced to this bit years ago at
one of my first clinics....I couldn't imagine using it..in time, and
with understanding and trust and seeing it improve horse after horse,
I became a user and a total believer.
******************
Another quote from the Intro article: "Joyce Harman, DVM, MRCVS,
theorizes that the rollerbit is effective due to its release of the
tongue and temporomandibular joint (TMJ). The high port frees up the
tongue and the roller encourages tongue softness. The loose shanks
translate all the way to the shoulders, allowing the horse to carry
himself with minimal or no input from the rider."
One needs to read Dr.Harman's article in this issue to understand more
clearly, the realtionship of the tongue and bitting....VERY interesting.

Sorry to be so long, but this is the best printed info I've seen on the
roller bit....**I** even understand it better now!

DO get the mag...it has lots more and guides one on the usage of the
rollerbit for the first time.

Hope this info helps,

Deena Meyer, TTEAM Rollerbit lover
Inverness, Fl.