From: K S Swigart <katswig@deltanet.com>
To: Jacqueline Mansfield <jaxson@leopard.com>
Cc: Endurance List <ridecamp@endurance.net>
Subject: Re: cotton rope vs braided nylon (a word of caution)
Date: Wednesday, June 10, 1998 11:59 PM

I will not hold onto anything made of nylon that is also attached to a
horse, period.

The tack that I put on my horse is made of leather or it is made of cotton
(all my lead ropes are 3/4"...sometimgs 5/8" but not usually...cotton).

I have a few nylon halters, but I don't buy them myself, and MY horses
wear leather halters too.  I WANT them to break.

I cannot EVEN imagine holding on to biothane reins.  Just looking at that
stuff is enough to make me cringe at the thought of the edges slicing
through my hands.  Do people who use biothane reins always ride in
gloves...or do they just take their chances (or are the edges not as
"sharp" as they look)?

kat
Orange County, Calif.

p.s.  Nylon leadropes at my place (if they happen to wander onto the
property), get used for tying gates shut...which, as far as I am
concerned, is the only saft thing to do with them.