RE: Carbos and research project

Hi Susan,

I've been using the carbos too - long chain polysacharides - I got them from
Tom Ivers. He may be able to give you the product breakdown. Calories per oz??

Have used them on 2 moderately paced multidays  and a competitive 50.

2 oz every 2 hrs as a rule - but in reality it depended on timing at vet checks,
water stops etc..

I felt that the energy level of the horses was improved. And I *seemed* to notice
a boost of energy 45 minutes to an hour after administration. Has anybody else
made this observation? I noticed it especially during the multiday rides, where we
kept a more moderate pace. Both my husband and myself seemed to feel it.
However I did a competitive 50 in April, fast paced, and did not notice any ups
or downs at all. Energy level was high during the entire 50 miles.

I realize this is all anecdotal - but am very curious to hear what other have to say
about it. It just makes sense to supply fuel during the course of a ride.

Do you have any figures on absorption rates of the long chain polysacharides?
Vs. whole grain, hay, etc.?

Steph

p.s. Kat is training one of my horses for the summer - if she wants to participate
with Saber, you could probably use him too.