Sweat Observations

From: Barb Peck
Email: bpeck@us.ibm.com

All:
     This topic is interesting, and one I'd like to see expanded upon:
     I think Truman was correct when he mentioned that experienced anecdotal evidence is as valid as the scientific, because there are so many variables that cause sweating.
     My observations about the salty taste has been that
if the salt has that protein surfactant in it (foamy sweat) it definately tastes saltier.  As the horse gets in condition, and if he's worked frequently enough so that surfactant can't get built back up in the cell, then the sweat is clearer and less salty.
    I probably use sweating and respirations (I have 1 panter and 1 non-panter) to judge how my horses are doing on a hot day more than anything else.  I also decide on whether to electrolyte them based on how much they sweat as opposed to the miles we've gone.
    How do you people in the WEST do it when the dry heat just keeps the sweat from being as visable as it is for us in the East?

Barb