Re: Carbos @ Californio 100

Karen,

It's a great ride!  The first 30 miles is fire break and desert roads but
then we pick up the PCT (Pacific Crest Trail) and rode lots of single track
trail through manzanita and pine trees.  The wild flowers were spectacular!
 We finished on fire break road which was nice in the dark (maybe 10
miles).  We got a few sprinkles but nothing like the rain at 20 Mule Team,
however the wind blew most of the day and it was cold on top of the ridge.

The first time we mixed the carbos we used too much applesauce so we
decreased the applesauce at the next checks to make the mixture thinner.
What size syringes are you using?  I was using 60cc irrigating syringes.

I didn't dose him after the ride since he got them at 93 miles and we just
walked in to the finish.  His post ride pulse was 14 and all B's or better.

Since this is a loop 100 mile ride I wouldn't want to do it without a crew.
 We never saw camp until the finish.  Normally my husband crews for me but
he wasn't thrilled about crewing for this ride so a fellow endurance rider
who wasn't riding offered to crew for me.  I rode 10 years without a crew
prior to marriage so I know how special it is to have a non-riding husband
willing to crew most rides.  I truly value him and would never, never be
upset with him during a ride for forgetting something.  I'm amazed at
riders who light into spouses or friends crewing for forgetting something
or not having everything set up just right.  They obviously don't know how
lucky they are to even have someone there to help.

What is your schedule after a 100 mile ride.  Normally I just leave my
horse out in pasture and don't mess with him for 2 weeks.  This gives me
time to work one of my other horses.  I have 4 but one is my first
endurance horse that is now retired (20+ years + 2200 miles) and another is
my number one endurance mare (2750 miles) that is recovering from an
non-endurance related tendon injury.  The third is a half-sister to my
injured mare that I bought from the endurance.net classified ads.  The last
2 horses mentioned are Sierra Fadwah+/ daughters.

The rain has stopped here and all is dry.
Happy and Dry Trails to you.

Marci Cunningham
Bakersfield CA