ENDURANCE

I read all the back and forth posting about LD and "endurance" and I can see
where it is a heated topic.  I rode my first "endurance ride" nine years ago.
I had never even been to a ride, and neither had my horse.  I decided to enter
the 50 and am pleased to say I completed (slowly) and with a healthy horse at
the end.  By the way, I rode (and still have him) a quarterhorse (in addition
to an arab and a 1/2 arab).  I had the incredible good luck to ride part of
this ride with Trilby Pederson.  I didn't even know how she was back then.
She was absolutely wonderful and helpful to me.  We finished hand in hand over
the finish line and she told me how wonderful it was that I had started as I
did, etc.  I never forgot that and have stayed with endurance over the years
(health and husband's job tranfers have interfered not to mention raising a
family).  Now I started a 1/2 Arab filly in 25s two years ago and have just
completed her first 50 a month ago.  During the time I rode the 25s I felt
"looked down upon" by those who were doing the longer distances.  And even
when Kaci turned 5 I knew mentally she was not ready to do a 50 and decided on
another season of 50s on her.

Now my point is this.  I guess I am an endurance rider, I have finished 50
miles with a sound horses and have owned the same horses for years.  No I
don't travel with the "hot shoes" but am truly happy to finish and look for
personal satisfaction and improvement as my only goal.  But I have also
completed a season of 25s only because that was all I could do and I still
considered myself an endurance rider.   I have felt the "why aren't you going
further" attitude from other riders and I didn't let it bother me.  I just
wanted to have fun and enjoy the trails and my horse.  If we could keep that
as our focus, I think there would be a lot less bickering about who is doing
what.   The thing that attracted me most to this sport is the fact that you
could compete as an individual  (and boy don't you think I heard it about
riding a quarterhorse).  I think there is room for all of us and our
individual goals.  What we are called (or call ourselves) is semantics.  To
Finish is to Win no matter what distance it is you choose - or for what
reason.

There's my two cents worth.  Roast away ! !

Lee and Boogie (AQHA all the way),
& Kaci - I'm a what horse that has to go how far?
& Bravo (take me, take me - so what if I'm only 3 and not broken!)

Okay, I guess I'm in for it now.

But