Re: choking during transport

I'd like to know a bit more about the choking while trailering episode, as
well as the technique that relieved it (Heimlich for horses?).  Was this an
instance of a large wad of hay lodging midway down the esophagus, or
something else?  What did your rescuer do for the gelding?  Anyone know if
such events are at all common?

I like feeding my mare in transit simply because she needs the calories.
Hate to have to stop now...or is there some food less choke-prone I could
offer from a hay bag?  I have a stock trailer and hang a bag in front of her
nose, out of reach of her forefeet.

Sally in Floyd, VA (stepnout@swva.net)