panting/sweat patterns

Hello.   Two questions/comments.  Advise please!

I have been riding a horse new to me for about 5 months.   We have taken
considerable weight off this mare (9 yrs old) and she is uncovering a
base previously developed.   I  notice that she pants.   Along with
this,  I notice that her flanks and rump stay largely dry,   developing
only a few litle sweat spots even when physically worked hard in warm
weather   (we've lost all our hot weather!!!)   Two questions:

-will she  develop more sweat glands with time or will the ones she have
kick in more?

-is it okay to wet her rump with warm water?   I read the discussion
some time back about it being okay to use cold water but I'm too
old-fashioned to do this........

This gal never seems extraordinarily stressed, just breathing fast.  I'm
also aware hat respiration isn't used too much as criteria and her
cardiac recovery is excellent.

tia, jan