re: Joe's comments re. donna's comments

Joe, you had stated:

Today, you are a Limited Distance rider.  That's nothing to be ashamed
of.  I hope you realize your dream of someday completing an endurance
ride -- and then you will be an endurance rider.  And believe me, that
will mean more to you because you will have actually *earned* it.

You said much more than this, and very well I might add. I agree with what
you are saying.

I am a school counselor and have just witnessed another attempt by
educators to "help" all students feel good about themselves. A 5th grade
class was graduating from my school and was having our school's first
graduation ceremony. Well, the teachers didn't feel it right to give
certificates of achievement to some kids and not to others. So there were
some real stretches of the imagination and some real exaggerations when
some awards were given. The intent was good. The hearts were in the right
place; but kids are not easily fooled.

What I'm trying to say is that self-worth, self-esteem and self-concept
come from what a person accomplishes or doesn't accomplish NOT from
"freebies". The more one is given without having earned it, the less value
that "gift" has. Not only that, it may even cheapen the prize for those who
have truly earned it.

Let's not dilute the value of the cherished Endurance Rider status. I am a
newbie willing to work my way up to that level, starting with LD's. My
pleasure comes from my daily successes. That's enough for now. I'll be up
there with you ER folks in due time knowing my horse and I have earned it.

Pat (and Beau who doesn't have the foggiest idea of what is about to happen
this coming weekend:))