Re: Newbies and Oldies

> I think many Newbie's come from a "horse" background.  Fewer decide they
> want to do endurance & find a first time horse?

It might be interesting to poll ridecampers on that issue.  I am a newbie
who is also new to horses -- my first horseback ride was exactly 3 years
ago this month, and I bought my first horse 15 months ago.  I was
completely overwhelmed by the idea of hauling and camping with a horse to
do an endurance ride, when I had so little experience and so little
equipment.  I read the recommended take-along lists, and didn't even know
what half the things on there were, or could be used for, much less own
them!  This is why it took me 6 months of effort and planning, in
addition to training, before I attempted my first LD.  This is also why
I'm in favor of a slighter broader interpretation of what is "endurance
related" for purposes of this list.  A newbie endurance rider from a
horse background is light-years ahead of a newbie newbie from a computer
background. :)

In many instances, a newbie newbie like me can learn just as much from a
300-miler as from a 3000-miler, at least in the beginning.  Once I have
300 miles of my own, I'll need more focused, specific guidance on
endurance riding perhaps, but for now I still need lots of "duh"
questions answered, because I do not have years of accumulated experience
with horses.  The oft-used axiom "know your horse" is of limited value to
someone who doesn't really know horses hardly at all!  After 15 months
with Lakota, I've learned to hear a lot of the things that he is telling
me, and I'm beginning to "know my horse" -- but last year I needed lots
and lots of "try this, try that" advice.  Ridecampers were absolutely
fantastic at helping me out!  I've come a long way in just one year, and
look forward to many more years of learning, competing and having fun ...
and actively participating in Ridecamp.

Someday I won't be a newbie anymore, and then I can continue the helping
hand tradition of helping others get started.  I can't wait!

Glenda & Lakota
Mobile, AL
AERC # M18819 & H27310
SE Region