vet wrap and competition

I am planning on riding in the OD next weekend, and have developed a
slight problem (or at least my gelding has.....)

Last weekend, we had a minor accident with a tar road (long story), and my
gelding managed to get a little road burn on the back/side of his right
hind fetlock.  My vet says that it is very minor - just surface, but that
I should keep vet wrap on it to keep sand out of it, as wel as keep the
scab from being knocked off - I am putting neosporin and desitin on it,
and rewrapping it twice a day.  It already looks much better, but it
certainly won't be healed for the OD - the vet says there should be no
problem in riding him at the OD (he is not lame, doesn't appear to be
sore, even when I wash him off with soapy water and peroxide, and is
traveling just the way he always does), but try to keep it protected!

My question is, I know I can use interference boots, and I have a nice
pair that will go up high enough on the outside to cover his boo-boo, but
can I also put vet wrap under the boot, to keep dirt off it, as well as
keeping the boot from rubbing him raw?  I know that I can only use desitin
or vaseline on it during the race, but I have found that even if you coat
an area with either vaseline or desitin, boots will rub the stuff off.

Sorry if this sounds like a simple question, but I can't find anything in
the AERC handbook that states one way or the other.

Thanks in advance for the help
Kathy Brunjes (and Ali Darkness - who really didn't mean to skid down the
road)
Bethel, ME