Re: vet wrap and competition

Hi,

Your horse's minor abrasion could become a major issue at the OD if heat
causes swelling and the vet wrap/splint boot compresses the area.  Also,
the abrasion from sand inside the covering is sometimes worse than just
leaving it alone.

If we were faced with this sitaution, we would not use wrap or boots.
We would apply a spray to the affected area called "Second Skin."  This
stuff really holds up to ride conditions but requires some planning.
It's available at many drug stores.

Starting a few days before the ride, clean the area well.  Let it dry
and spray a first layer.  Then, two or three times before the ride,
spray on additional layers.  Point out the situation to the vet at the
preride and get a notation on your vet card.

During the ride, carry Second Skin with you.  The container is very
small and fits in your pocket.  Appy it as needed.  This has worked well
for us in the past and we have never been faulted by the vet staff.
Good Luck.

Ramey and Cynthia Peticolas-Stroud
Cascade Endurance Center
Lyons, Oregon