Re: Newbies and Oldies

I agree with Heidi's statement that there is no substitute for "good
old-fashioned horse sense, intuition, ability to 'read' their body
language, etc."  But the problem for many new riders is how to get it
and what do you do in the meantime?  I'll probably get flammed big time
for this but here goes...

This is an ethical as well as an educational issue.  When we start
riding our enthusiam is high and our understanding low.  Often the horse
pays the price.  A suspensory or tendon problem here, a colic or maybe
even exhausted horse sydrome there.  The clues were obvious but somehow
missed.

So while you are learning the ropes, don't be afraid to use heart
monitors, temp monitors, or any other "technology" that gives you
insight as to how your equine buddy is doing.  Someday you might be so
totally in tune with your horse that you don't need anything but a hat.
But until you reach that point, get all the  info you can, anyway you
can, and then use it wisely.

The new National Rider Development Program sponsored by the AERC
International Committee to be introduced next year will initially focus
on this level of learning and understanding.  Stay tuned...

Ramey