Re: Endurance News/Newbies and Oldies

In a message dated 98-06-04 09:59:28 EDT, guest@endurance.net writes:

<< Just because you're younger, or new to the sport, there's no reason you all
have to come up the learning curve the way the pioneers did (and I don't mean
that in any way to diminish their accomplishments). >>

This statement is very true, but like so much that has gotten technical, you
still have to understand what is behind the technology in order to utilize it
completely.  That is where the stories of those who pioneered come into play.
Also, in this technical world, I think some folks sometimes lose sight of the
fact that we are dealing with a flesh-and-blood being here, and that despite
all the "advances" there is still no replacement for good old-fashioned horse
sense, intuition, ability to "read" their body language, etc.  Although there
are many tools (like John Lyons tapes, etc.) to help with that, there still is
no substitute for miles and hours and time for that part of horsemanship.

Heidi Smith, DVM--Sagehill Arabians (Oregon)