Re: Plastic snaps versus good quality hardware

Hi Beverly,
AS a manufacturer of BioThane tack for the last 12 years I have seen good
hardware come and go. I would be very careful therefore in accepting sweeping
generalizations about hardware.
Since your post was not specific to which  metal "hooks" were the culprit
I'll just give you some of the hardware "history" we've been involved in.

Plastic versus Brass/chromed Brass:

We went through the ABS plastic fad in the late 80's,  as a result of
riders wanting to lighten the weight of their tack as much as possible.

Though we tested over 30 types of snaps, buckles, rings and fasteners,
none held up to  various breaking  stress tests, and even more disapointingly,
the quick release hooks (often used as bit hangers) would jam with
sand or dirt particles following sponging or rinsing the horse in
water. The only ABS hardware I have found to stand the test of time
are plastic (wide gauge) rings used on running martingale attachments,
primarily to reduce weight and friction on the reins.

BioThane tack for example, should be made with a given breakpoint and
breaking-stress in mind. Because the belting has a breaking stress
of 1000 lbs per square inch,you *want* something to give, without losing
control of the horse. I have several calculated breakpoints:

1. Throatlatch: I have chosen a lightweight snap at the throatlatch,
which can easily be replaced.
It took some searching to find a brass snap with a brass tongue (stainless
never holds up) lightweight, yet sturdy. Modular design allows easy replacement.

2. Bit hanger snaps: two gauges, a light gauge, the snaps will break or open
if the horse gets the reins stuck in their legs, or the owner is unaware enough
to tie the horse by the bit. If the rider prefers heavier gauge snaps for the
bit and runs into the same problem, the D ring will pull out and the horse is
saved from breaking his jaw.

3. Scissor snaps on reins: I have had riders get dumped from their horses
with a death grip on the reins. The weight of their body is then on the bit
in the horses mouth. The breaking point of the scissor snaps again gaurd against
damage to the horses jaw.

Manufacturing is also important. I use a beveled snap at the throatlatch and
turn the snap inwards. The bevelled edge does not harm the horse and reduces
the liklihood of the snap catching on anything.

None of the hardware is anywhere as strong as the BioThane. If anything untoward
should happen (hey these are unpredictable animals!) at some point, you want
the horse to be able to get free rather than struggle if they get hung up
in their bridle.

Whatever your hardware of choice, nothing can beat a good
safety program and good habits when it comes to riding or tying up your horse.

Best

Dom

Dominique Freeman              |  "Life is short, science is long"   |
fadjurs@sadandy.hpl.hp.com     |                                     |
Hewlett Packard Laboratories,  |                                     |
Palo Alto, CA USA              |                                     |
Phone: (650) 857-8596          |                                     |
FAX: (650) 857-2862            |                                     |