moonwalk

I have a new mare, and I hope to get some advice on a small problem I'm having with her, before it becomes a big problem. She is 6, and an Arabian bred for racing. She was conditioned on roads and trails for two years with the intention of becoming a racehorse, but didn't have the speed, so was retired after a couple of races. I bought her because of her sweet and calm temperament, her incredible ground covering trot, solid legs and feet, and trail experience. Endurance has been my dream for years, but I just haven't had the horse and/or the time to make it happen. Now I've got the horse, and I'm making the time to start conditioning, but I've run into a little snag and I'm not sure how to deal with it. I've only had her for three weeks, and I've been riding her for the past two-and-a-half and really enjoying her. She loves to go down the trail and isn't frightened by most of the standard, garden-variety boogeymen like cars, tractors, dogs. Her mouth is responsive and light, and although she knows nothing about leg aids (jockeys don't use their legs, I guess), she usually has the forward motion in mind so is easy to keep straight. BUT, every now and then we encounter something that really does frighten her (usually cows right up next to the road, sometimes water crossings) and her response has been to stop and attempt to wheel around and run the other way. When I quickly block that response, she backs up at rapid speed, and I mean rapid - its like breakdancers who do that 'moonwalk' thing. She usually backs 5 or 6 steps (regardless of where she is, downhill, into ditches, etc.) and then stops, looking very concerned. I ask her to go forward and she usually steps a few forward, then snorts and moonwalks again. Sometimes I can convince her to ride forward, but all I've got is my voice and body position, since she doesn't understand leg aids. If we end up in a stalemate, I usually get off and lead her by, which she does quite calmly. I have not wanted to get into an all-out battle since we don't know each other very well, and she appears genuinely scared. I will be starting dressage training with her next week. I almost always ride alone by necessity, and have young children at home, so I have a healthy concern for my safety. I would like to nip this problem in the bud now, so, can anyone offer some advice? Any other moonwalkers out there? Thanks in advance.

Chelle and 'Dy' (yeah, but look how athletic I am!)
Tunbridge, Vermont