Re: Washoe virus and rhino vacs

Hello ridecampers!
 There is an excellent article in Equus mag. about vaccines which is relevant
to the posts about this virus everyone is worried about.
There is evidence to suggest that under stressful conditions flu/rhino vacs
are only providing immunity for about 8 weeks.  I have had experience in this
regarding horses in the past.  I had two horses who had been on a 6 month
schedule for these vacs come down with rhino which caused me to miss a ride.
My local vet said that racehorses ( TB) get shots every eight weeks due to the
stressful conditions, and so started giving flu/rhno every eight weeks during
the season in which my horses are exposed to stress and are around many other
horses.  Have not had any more problems with flu or rhino since.
However, my mare did recently have a cold? after I went riding with a freind
who's horse was showing signs of a cold, ie: snotty nose, coughing.  She later
ran a fever for several days and was treated with Trimeth/sulpha.  My mare ran
a slight fever ( 102 ) for two days and had a slight cough, but no snot and is
GREAT now. ( This was about a month ago.)
I will continue with the 8 week schedule and I suggest it to others as well. I
vaccinate for everything else yearly as I have my horses at my own place, and
visiting horses are put on the same schedule as my horses, for worming also.
As to the comments about people on ridecamp not riding enough, I have been a
member since March, and it hasnt kept me out of the saddle at all. ( ask my
husband) although I have burnt a couple of dinners trying to read ridecamp,
cook and watch the news at the same time! ( I guess i'm an overacheiver! : )
Gotta go do horse things now, see ya on the trails!
Julie and Rayna ( again? okay Mom, Lets go!)