Re: Endurance News

In a message dated 98-06-01 23:53:28 EDT, jlong@mti.net writes:

<< Don't get me wrong, Maggie's a great gal (and personal friend) and I
 highly respect the hard work she's done for endurance.  It just
 happens that this time she put her foot in her mouth clear up to her
 knee!  Something none of us are immune to doing, BTW.

Joe hit the nail on the head here.  I know Maggy pretty well, and I can
understand where she is coming from in her article, although perhaps she
didn't phrase it as diplomatically as she might have.  As another old-timer
who still rides (not as much as I like, because I vet too many of 'em) I, too,
think there are often a lot of posts from well-intentioned newcomers on
Ridecamp who think they have all the answers as to new rules, rule changes,
etc.  We old-timers have all been there, and sometimes we feel like parents
who want to put up that old poster that says, "Teenagers, leave home now while
you still have all the answers!"  Ridecamp is a great forum, and EN is another
good forum, and the more information we can get out on BOTH is just wonderful.
With that in mind, as far as her new EN project, all I can say is, GO, MAGGY!!
As to the not-so-subtle put-down of Ridecamp, yep, I think she did.  She could
have been more diplomatic.  But if the shoe pinches as much as recent posts
seem to indicate, maybe she has a point...

Heidi Smith, DVM--Sagehill Arabians (Oregon)